National Archives Bicentenary
In Norway, the King’s residence is normally just called “the Palace”. The architect was H. D. F. Linstow and the foundation was laid in 1825. However, it was not until November 1905, after King Haakon VII, Queen Maud and Crown Prince Olav moved in, that it become the permanent residence of the Royal Family. Since then, with the exception of periods of Norway’s occupation during WWII when Vidkun Quisling used it as offices and the period after the death of King Olav V, when it was being renovated, the palace has served as the Royal Family’s residence. King Harald and Queen Sonja have resided at the palace since 2001. Sections of the palace are open to the public in the summer, and at the anniversary in 2005 of the dissolution of the union with Sweden an exhibition was arranged showing what life was like for the small royal family after they made the palace their home in 1905.
It is believed that Håkon V commissioned Akershus castle and fortress around 1300. Since then, the buildings have been repeatedly renovated and expanded. Following a fi re in 1624, Christian IV ordered the new town not to be built upon the ruins of Oslo but rather in a new area closer to Akershus. He named this new town
Christiania. The castle and fortress, which are more than 700 years old, have survived every siege against them and never been taken with weapons by a foreign power. Since 1947, Akershus is used for state visits and important events. The royal mausoleum in the cellar is the final resting place for deceased royalty.
Technical DetailsIssue Date: 21.04.2017
Designer: Jørn O. Jøntvedt
Printer: Joh. Enschedé Security Print
Values: NOK 17, NOK 21